Ingredients for dough:
300g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
50g cold unsalted butter cubed
80g caster sugar
150g chocolate chips
2 beaten eggs, at room temperature
225ml milk, at room temperature
1 tsp Vanilla Mart vanilla paste
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon, together in a large bowl.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture is like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and the chocolate chips.
- In a separate bowl mix the eggs, milk and vanilla paste together.
- Pour the mixture into the dry ingredients and mix briefly. Use a whisk to rid any large lumps of flour, if needed. Avoid over-mixing.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cases and bake at 200°C for 5 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 170°C and continue to bake for 25 minutes until golden brown and firm to touch.
Secret Trick for muffin tops:
- Fill your muffin tins all the way to the top. This and the initial high oven temperature will lift the muffin top up quickly and create a tall crust.