2 egg whites
1 tsp Vanilla Mart Madagascan paste
60g plain flour
100g caster sugar
1 pinch salt
3 tbsp cold water
1 tsp cornflour
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan.
- Add the egg whites and vanilla paste to a medium bowl and use a whisk with an electric hand whisk until frothy, about 30 seconds.
- Sift in the flour, cornflour, sugar, and salt and gently incorporate into the batter until paste-like.
- Add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the batter is smooth.
- Place 1 tablespoon of batter onto a baking sheet and spread into a 3-inch circle.
- Repeat until batter has finished and bake for 8 minutes, until the edges are golden brown.
- Add a fortune in the middle of a cookie and then fold it in half, and place the flat side on the lip of a cup, folding the edges down into a fortune cookie shape.
- Cut each cake in half horizontally.
- Spread the jam on the bottom half of each cake, then the cream. Finish each cake off by lightly sifting icing sugar over the tops.
- Serve with tea.