Ingredients for dough:
1 Madagascan Vanilla Mart pod
1 tsp salt
500g strong bread flour
75g caster sugar
1 tbsp vegetable oil
7g easy blend yeast
1 egg, beaten
30g mixed peel
zest of 1 orange
1 apple, finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp mixed spice
Ingredients for topping:
70g plain flour
2 tbsp golden syrup
- Bring the milk to the boil, remove from the heat and add butter.
- Pour flour, salt, caster sugar, seeds from vanilla pods, yeast into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the milk and butter mixture, then the egg.
- Mix well, until you have a sticky dough.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface and put dough in a lightly oiled bowl.
- Cover with oiled cling film and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Tip in the sultanas, peel, zest, apple and cinnamon and knead into the dough.
- Cover with oiled cling film and leave to rise for 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into even balls, roll each into a smooth ball and arrange on baking trays lined with parchment.
- Cover with a tea towel, then prove again for 1 hour more.
- Heat oven to 200°C fan.
- Mix the plain flour with 4-5 tbsp water to make the paste for the cross.
- Pipe crosses along each row of buns and bake for 20 minutes.
- Melt the golden syrup in a pan and brush the buns while still warm before setting aside to cool.