2 large eggs
3 unwaxed lemons, zest of all, juice of 1
125g golden caster sugar
125ml vegetable oil
1/2 tsp Vanilla Mart paste
225g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
sugar crystals – optional
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a muffin ray with muffin cases.
- Whisk the eggs, lemon zest and sugar.
- Combine the buttermilk, oil, lemon juice and vanilla paste, then pour into the egg mixture, whisking continuously.
- Combine the baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, flour and salt, then sift into the wet mixture.
- Whisk lightly to make a smooth batter.
- Divide batter between the muffin cases and sprinkle the top of the muffins with sugar crystals.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden.